FREE Letter from Santa - Create a personalized letter from Santa for your child.
Crock-Pot.com

Monday, October 20, 2008

A great dinner to warm you up in the fall

I was going through my recipe book again the other day looking for a recipe that will warm you up on a cool fall evening. There are so many things that I love to cook this time of the year so I will try and make a point to share all of them with you. The hardest part about cooking in my house is trying to find something that everyone will eat. My husband will eat just about everything and anything I cook but my youngest can be very picky! This recipe has something in it for everyone so I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!!!


Beef Stew

1lb. stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
1tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cups hot water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
4-6 carrots cut into pieces
2 stalks celery, diced
4-6 potatoes, cut into 1in. pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
1- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, cut up
2 tbsp. cornstarch + 2 tbsp. water
parsley to taste

Cook and stir beef in oil in pan for about 15 minutes or until browned. Add 3 cups hot water, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2-2 hours or until beef is tender. Stir in vegetables, 1/2 tsp. slat/ Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Bring to a boil and stir in cornstarch and water to thicken.


I like to serve this with warm crescent rolls. Everyone in my house loves them and they are great for mopping up all the leftover juice off your plate! I am going to share my mom's applesauce recipe next because I think it goes great with beef stew. This time of year you can never have too many apple recipes so feel free to share some!

Mimi's Applesauce

6 large apples, peeled and sliced thin ( I like to use 20 ounce apples)
1/8 tsp. butter
sugar and cinnamon to taste- all depends on how sweet the apples are and how sweet you like your applesauce
water

Put enough water in the pan to cover the bottom and add a dash of salt. Add the apples, cinnamon and sugar. Cook on medium low. keep stirring and mashing apples until you have the consistency that you want. Some of us prefer chunky applesauce and others don't. Add water, cinnamon and sugar as needed. Make sure that the bottom of the pan does not get dry. I keep tasting it as I go along. Sometimes I need a lot of sugar and other times I don't.

Have a great fall everyone. I hope you enjoy my recipes!!!! :)

No comments: